Are you in need of an Experienced Child Custody Lawyer based in Perth?
At Thomson Family Lawyers, our trustworthy and reliable team of family lawyers understand your children are your primary concern following the breakdown of a marriage or de facto relationship.
In the interests of the child (or children), and yourself as a parent, getting relevant legal advice about your custody dispute, as soon as possible, is highly recommended. We believe it is vital to provide clients with reliable advice from our leading, experienced family lawyer professionals. We are here to support you through this time.
Child Custody Laws and Parental Responsibility
Agreeing on an arrangement with your former partner over child custody and visitation rights can be a difficult process.
A lack of understanding child custody laws can often cause distress for most parents. Especially when considering how their children will be cared for, and how each parent will maintain their relationship with their children following their separation. In Australia, the law now refers to child custody arrangements in terms of “lives with” and “spends time with” arrangements.
To avoid either partner making presumptions about their legal rights, our team of lawyers in Perth, provide a clear understanding and solid foundation surrounding the issues of your case. It is why Thomson Family Lawyers are here to assist you with every step of the process.
Legal Advice and Considerations
Within the state of Western Australia, the Family Law Act specifies what issues the Family Court can consider in a child custody decision.
Some of the most common matters parents must consider following separation, include:
- With whom a child will live with, previously known as custody or residence and now referred to as “live with” arrangements;
- The extent to which a child can live with both parents, otherwise known as shared care and often termed as joint custody or joint residence;
- The quantity of time a child will spend with the parent that they do not primarily live with, referred to as “spend time with” arrangements;
- The extent to which parents will make parenting decisions – either together or unilaterally – about matters relating to their child (termed Parental Responsibility);
- Arrangements for the time a child will spend with each parent on significant occasions, including birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Father’s Day and Mother’s Day;
- The best way for a handover to be conducted and who might be involved in that process; and
- The extent to which a child can, and will communicate with each of their parents by telephone, at times whilst not in that parent’s care.
Helping You Through the Family Court Decision
At Thomson Family Lawyers, we provide advice regarding the ongoing care arrangements for your children following separation. We will consider factors such as family violence, child support arrangements, the time a child will spend with each parent, and other factors affecting your children that are deemed relevant to your case.
Where possible, we assist you in achieving negotiated settlements. This is done with everyone’s best interests in mind and respecting any care arrangements that may be ordered by the Court.
If both parties are unable to agree, our team of child custody lawyers are here to assist you with representation in litigated matters. Our aim is to provide the best outcome for separated parents and their children. We do this by offering friendly and reliable assistance throughout the whole process.