Relocation of Children

Child relocation occurs when a child’s living arrangements change after separation or divorce making it difficult for the child to spend time with both parents.

Under the Family Law Act, relocation refers to a separated parent or guardian wanting to move their child intrastate, interstate or internationally, which would directly impact the other parent’s time spent with the child.

This is a matter which relates to Parental Responsiblity and is covered under s65DAA of the Family Law Act.

If you’re in this situation, you will need consent from the other parent, or an order from the Family Court, before you can move.

Relocation of Children Cases

These days, relocating after separation is becoming progressively more common amongst families. There are an increasing number of cases in the Family Court of Western Australia and the Family Court of Australia where parties are seeking orders to permit relocation with their children.

Thomson Family Lawyers can assist you with the complexities involved in relocation matters, including providing advice and assistance during negotiations. This helps to achieve mediated solutions, as well as offering guidance, direction and advice for litigated matters involving relocation.

What Factors Into Relocation Arrangements?

The rearrangement of a child’s living situation can cause other issues to arise. This includes the time a child will spend with the non-relocating parent and the costs that may arise from associated travel, how often they will communicate, as well as matters relating to child support.

These issues must all be addressed by the parent proposing to relocate, and that’s where Thomson Family Lawyers are here to help.

Helping You Reach an Agreement 

Our dedicated team of child relocation lawyers in Perth also provide advice on other related matters.

These include restraints preventing the removal of a child from a state or country, prevention of issuing children’s passports, through to urgent action in the event of unilateral relocation.

In addition to this, we also offer advice and action in respect of matters relating to international child abduction.

If you have relocated to Perth with your children, or if you have a partner who has relocated with your children to another State, Thomson Family Lawyers are able to assist you and advise on your case, including representation in all jurisdictions and the various Courts around Australia in which Family Law cases are heard and determined.

Time is of the essence in any relocation matter. So do not delay in seeking legal advice, if your case relates to relocation of any kind.

Thomson Family Lawyers have experience in the Family Court of Western Australia, as well as the Family Court of Australia and various Federal Circuit Courts around Australia.

For more information regarding our child relocation services, contact Thomson Family Lawyers or visit our Perth office today.

Book Your Initial Consultation

At Thomson Family Lawyers, we’re committed to providing all of our clients with the same high level of service, excellence and care they deserve.

We understand engaging with a family lawyer can be a difficult and confusing time, which is why we’re here to help.

If you need to speak to one of our family lawyers in Perth, book your consultation today!

For international or interstate clients, appointments can be made via telephone.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Or simply call

(08) 6444 9911